Friday, November 25, 2011

The Lone Soldier

After a day completely dedicated to giving thanks and spending time with those that you love, I awoke today with a heavy heart...

When we read throughout the NT we find several instances where Paul talks about suffering and how it is something that if we are TRUE believers we will face at some point or another in our lives. Several examples of these verses are:

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us." - Romans 8:18

"But if we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; or if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which is effective in the patient enduring of the same sufferings for which we also suffer." - 2 Corinthians 1:6

"I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need." - Philippians 4:12

"This is a plain indication of God's righteous judgment so that you will be considered worthy of the Kingdom of God, for which indeed you are suffering." - 2 Thessalonians 1:5

"Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord or of me His prisoner, but join with me in suffering for the gospel according to the power of God," - 2 Timothy 1:8

These are just a few examples in scripture where suffering is referenced. I find it fascinating that the Bible over and over again encourages we as believers to endure, rejoice, hold steadfast, immovable and always abounding in the work of the Lord. We look at the examples of Paul and Silas in prison. These men where unjustly bound in prison and through their circumstances were able to lift their voices in praise to God thanking Him for His goodness and rejoiced.

I believe that when I say my heart is weary its not because I wish myself out of my own sufferings. My heart is weary for those that I see are running or choosing to ignore the promptings of God. We can look in our culture, really right out our front door and see the believers who have become "robots" to their society emulating the things of this world and not joyfully enduring the sufferings of living a Christ centered, abundant Christian life.

These last few weeks the Lord has been teaching me how important the duty of being His lone soldier is. It is a duty that requires prayer, faith, endurance, strength, dignity, meekness, boldness, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness and self-control.
In the world's eyes its a demeaning and somewhat embarrassing duty and position to uphold. But when I look at His Word, and read how important it is to fight for Him and on His side and fulfilling it can be to endure for and with the sufferings of Christ, I am humbled that He would choose me to be a soldier in His army. Fighting on His side, allowing me to be a noble woman for His Kingdom and righteousness.

I would encourage you who come across this post, to look at our examples in scripture and those throughout Christian history that have faithfully endured and walked the life of a lone soldier knowing and understanding what it truly means to be a child of THE KING!

"For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come. Nor height, nor depths nor any other creature shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." - Romans 8:37-39







No comments:

The Way of the Master

Popular Posts