Tuesday, October 11, 2011

2 steps forward, 10 steps back?!


Have you ever had one of those days where you feel yourself saying, "I feel like I'm walking (through life) backwards!" I have come to know that all too often. I realize though that in this journey of life, we are continually growing and learning. And sometimes in that learning, we have to start the lesson over again.

Before I had our first child, I felt like I had a good handle on my own personal struggles. I was always one to have a "short fuse" and I had recognized this and dealt accordingly. Assuming I had gotten it under control, I then had an 18 month old that quickly learned to exert her will in total and complete opposition to me! I soon discovered that my "medium to long fuse" was growing shorter and shorter each day.

Thankfully, we have a loving and gracious Father, who forgives and disciplines when necessary. I would often remind myself of verses like James 1:20,

"for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God."

I would be convicted and realize that I was in disobedience at that moment, regardless of my children! I am saved and they are not. I have a new nature they do not. I have the ability to exude the fruit of the Spirit, self-control. I am the one who should be being disciplined!

Of course I know that you can't excuse away a child's mis-behavior simply because they don't have the ability to operate in their new nature. I'm just saying, I can't lead a "do as I say, not as I do" example for them.

One thing that we've striven for in our family is creating an environment where asking forgiveness is something everyone is comfortable with, even mommy and daddy! I'm so grateful that the Lord continues to work on me day in and day out. It reminds me that He loves me so much that He takes the time to discipline and deal with me.
Hebrew 12:6 says, "For those whom the Lord loves, He disciplines..."
What a joy and comfort!

So, the next time you realize you're having "one-of-those-days"! Just remember the treasured verses found in God's Word that can be humbling reminders that with each step we take forward, there is most likely going to be a few steps taken back

"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped."
Psalm 28:7


No comments:

The Way of the Master

Popular Posts