Monday, October 17, 2011

His hands and feet...

Over the weekend, my family and I had the opportunity to play part in the feeding of the homeless down in Galveston and then participating in the American Chinese Fellowship.


All week long I had been talking with my children about what we were going to be doing. How we were going to be giving food to people who were without any food and telling them about Jesus and showing them His love. After each time I would talk no one would really express any thoughts, "They are only 1, 2 and 3", I would say to myself. Then, on Friday night while eating dinner. My oldest who is almost 4, looks at me and asks, "Mommy, what are the homeless people?" I was somewhat stunned by the out-of-the-blue question, however I seized the moment! I then went on to explain. "Well, the homeless people are people who don't have any food of their own. They don't have beds to sleep in or nice warm houses to live in." She then looked at me, with a look that showed she was really trying to process it all. Then said, "They don't have any food?" "Nope." "They don't have any beds?" "No, no beds." Then she was quiet for a few seconds and looked at me with very concerned eyes and said, "That's really sad mommy." It was EVERYTHING I could do to keep from crying! Here she was this small child who had just begun to learn what a homeless person was and she grasped how sad that reality is in just a week.
When we went on Saturday morning, it was definitely a bit of a culture shock for the children, but they still smiled and said hello to every passer-by. Towards the middle of the feeding time, my oldest looked at me and said, "Mommy, can I help feed the homeless kids and their mommies?" She had obviously noticed the many children that were there with their parents and she eagerly wanted to help! She and I then took our rotation in line and fed the remaining people that were there.
We stayed and visited for a while. We met Mr. Tim who was so eager to learn all the children's names and he was so sweet! We enjoyed talking with him! Another man had made a small jewelry craft and gave on to each of the children that they wore the rest of the day with great pride! Our children were even able to watch as Daddy prayed with another man that was going through some things in his life. We were right in the midst of doing what Jesus did with His entire life. We were being His hands and feet.


I think that in our culture we so easily forget how truly blessed we are. We get calloused to the fact that we have "options" in America.


Later Saturday night, we attended a picnic for the American Chinese Fellowship. It was a time of getting to know people from China that are working down in the medical center. Most hardly speak English, however, they are eager to carry on a conversation so that they can practice!
I had an opportunity to meet 2 women who had come from China almost a year ago. One lady was a scientist at a hospital and the other an OB/GYN. Very friendly ladies and very patient with me in trying to understand at times what exactly they were saying!
I asked lots of questions and they were happy to answer and even would giggle if I would miss what they were saying. I found out that both ladies had husbands and that they both had one child. One had a 17 year old son, the other, a 10 year old daughter. I had my youngest with me and they asked if she was my only child. When I said, "No, she is my youngest. I have two others!" They looked at me like I was from another planet! But, I smiled and said, "They are my precious gifts from God and I'm so grateful for each of them!" They smiled and nodded.
After listening to the two of them explain what it is that they do. They looked at me and said, "So what do you do for work?" I kind of chuckled and said, "Well, I don't really work at a job. I stay at home and take care of my children by teaching them school and taking care of our home and my husband too." Their eyes were as big as saucers! One lady said, "Oh no! In China you have to have VERY VERY VERY rich man to be able to stay at home and not work!"  The other replied with, "You are like a magical person! No lady in China could do such thing!"
Not quite knowing how to respond, the lady with the 10 year old looked at me with tears in her eyes and said, "I would love to stay home like you and teach my daughter. But it not a choice for me."
My heart broke at that moment and I quietly thanked God for the blessing He was allowing me to live out in my own life. That of being a SAHM and being able to teach my children and have more if the Lord saw fit. I was truly humbled and convicted for my moments of ungratefulness and lack of thanks for where God has placed me.

I saw into a different women's culture this weekend. I was able to see the true emotions of a society of women that have a yearning to fulfill the role that God has given to all women which is evident within scripture. I was able to recognize the selfishness in our culture of how we take for granted what we as women have in America. There are women who would long to not only do what we are doing, but ache in their hearts for it. I shared the gospel with these two ladies and while no one was ready to receive Him as their Savior, I could tell there was a stirring in their hearts. I said that I would pray for God to allow these women's husbands and children to one day soon, join them here in America. A country that they gladly said they loved very dearly.

This weekend was a reality check on so many levels for my husband and I. We realized how much opportunity there is to be the hands and feet of Christ in our world. Not just overseas in another country, but right here in our own backyard! Our children were greatly impacted by the events and have asked several times when we will be doing it again. We've decided to attend the homeless ministry once a month and make it a goal to do something every weekend from here on out.

I would encourage you to analyze yourself and your level of gratitude and thanksgiving for the things that God has given you. For example, being born into a country like America. Figure out a way in which you can be the hands and feet of Christ and just watch how your world (life) will change...
" He who gives to the poor will never want,
But he who shuts his eyes will have many curses."
Proverbs 28:27





No comments:

The Way of the Master

Popular Posts